Experience Japan’s perfect harmony of ancient tradition and modern way of life on a 12-day Premium adventure through the cultural heart of the country. Tokyo’s soaring skyscrapers give way to Hakone’s mountainous hot springs, while Takayama delights with its Edo-era beauty and Shirakawa-go immerses you in charming countryside life. Discover the intriguing cultural diversity of Kyoto and a passion for peace in Hiroshima. Travel with a local leader who will share the rich variety of their country as you visit temples, castles, shrines and holy mountains while mixing with locals and experiencing the real Japan.
IMPORTANT UPDATE ABOUT JAPAN: it’s essential that you read ‘Passports, visas and entry requirements’ section in Essential Trip Information first before booking your trip so that you fully understand the current requirements in place for travelling to Japan.
- Tokyo – Welcome dinner
- Tokyo – Sensoji Temple
- Tokyo – Shibuya walking tour
- Tokyo – Meiji Jingu Shrine
- Tokyo – Yoyogi Park
- Tokyo – Shibuya Sky with Drink
- Tokyo – Tsukiji Outer Market
- Tokyo – Sushi Making Class
- Hakone – Cable car/Ropeway
- Hakone – Lake Ashinoko boat cruise
- Takayama – Leader-led walking tour (with street food sampling)
- Takayama – Showa Museum
- Takayama – Shirakawago Village
- Takayama – Morning Market visit
- Hiroshima – Okonomiyaki dinner
- Hiroshima – Leader-led orientation walk
- Hiroshima – Miyajima Island day trip
- Miyajima – Itsukushima-jinja Shrine
- Hiroshima – Peace Park & A – Bomb Dome
- Hiroshima – Peace Museum
- Himeji – Himeji Castle
- Kyoto – Gion District walk
- Kyoto – Kinkaku-ji (Golden Pavilion)
- Kyoto – Daitokuji Temple
- Kyoto – Zen Buddhism meditation session
- Kyoto – Fushimi Inari-Taisha
- Kyoto – Sake Brewery & tasting
- Kyoto – Final dinner
- Marvel at the city lights of Tokyo during a guided tour, visit the sobering Hiroshima Peace Park and trace the steps of the Geisha around the alleyways of Kyoto.
- Soak up Japan’s natural beauty in mountainous Hakone and catch a glimpse of Mt Fuji, stroll around the stunning island of Miyajima and be amazed by the Japanese alps in the ancient village of Shirakawa-go.
- There’s no better way to get around Japan than the country’s famous railway system. Be impressed by the efficiency and ultra-modernity as you zip from place to place with your included 7-day Japan Rail Pass.
- Enjoy unforgettable Exclusive Experiences, including a sushi making class with a family who have been making the beloved dish for generations, and a guided meditation session with a Zen Buddhist monk.
- Unwind among the beauty of nature at your Feature Stay accommodation, with mountain views, a traditional ryokan design, modern comforts and a private onsen (thermal pool) for each room.